How To Use Apple SuperDrive With Windows Computers

Browse By

If you’re looking for an external optical drive to use on a Windows PC and happen to have an Apple SuperDrive handy, installing a Boot Camp driver on the Windows PC will give you that functionality. Here’s how you can make your SuperDrive work with Windows.

1. Plug the SuperDrive into the USB port on the computer. At this point, you’ll probably see it show up under This PC, but inserting a disk won’t do anything (and the disk probably won’t even go in the whole way.)
  2. Download the latest Boot Camp Drivers from Apple.
  3. Right click on the Boot Camp zip file in your Downloads folder and click Extract All.
  4. Launch the AppleODDInstaller64.exe file, located in /BootCamp/Drivers/Apple/AppleODDInstaller64.exe and follow the instructions to install the driver on your PC.
  5. After you complete the installer, you should be able to insert a disk and use the drive as you normally would.

While this might not be the best option if you’re looking to purchase an optical drive to use with both platforms, it works for those who have already gone with the Apple option and want to use it on more than just their Macs.

If you have any questions or run into any problems, let us know with a comment and we’ll do our best to help you.

15 thoughts on “How To Use Apple SuperDrive With Windows Computers”

1. Bradley Schluter says:

I have a SuperDrive that works fine on my MacBook Air in both OS X and in Win10 via BootCamp but won’t accept any disk when used on Windows-based PCs. I can get it to eject a DVD but not to accept (pull in) on the Windows-based machines, any ideas?

1. Brad Caldwell says:

Hey Bradley. Were you able to follow the instructions in the post to install the necessary driver on your Windows-based PCs? I believe that I had the same experience before installing that driver, but once the driver was installed, the drive would function as usual. Let us know if you have any further questions.

1. Jacob Kell says:

I did all that yet my driver still won’t except a DVD

2. Amy Scattaglia says:

Hi Brad. I followed all your steps above, but my superdrive still won’t accept any disks on my windows pc. Any ideas? I’m using Windows 7 enterprise, 64bit, if that matters.
    Thanks.

3. Nathan David says:

Works perfectly if the instructions provided above are followed precisely. The only issue is finding the right BootCamp package – there’s no indication that I found anywhere on the Apple site that says “Current Version” or anything like that.

4. Diana says:

So – any idea of the correct package to download for a Windows 8 X64 bit PC? I went through all the download steps for the bootcamp zip file and was told my PC wouldn’t accept the driver.

5. Scott B says:

First off… I really appreciate the info. I’m running Win 10 with a SuperDrive that’s about 5 years old. The latest version of BootCamp I found was “Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5722.” There indeed a file named AppleODDInstaller64.exe in the zip. I extracted the whole zip to a temp folder, ran the .exe and voila the drive worked fine. To Amy, I would suggest d/ling the file I listed and following the instructions above precisely.

6. Kim says:

Amazing! Your instructions were so clear that I was able to follow them and make this thing work! Thank you so much!

7. Oz says:

Running Win10, did all the above and it works with one exception. I cannot eject the disc. Any suggestions?

1. Bobby O'Hearn says:

Did you install the driver for the disc drive?

8. Javier says:

THank you very much! it worked perfectly on windows 10!!

9. Beth says:

If one is wanting to use the Super Drive on both types of machines (currently using it on Mac), do you have to do any magic to make it work again in the iOS device after once having used it in a PC, or will it be able to be used in both machines with no problems after the initial PC set-up?

1. Bobby O'Hearn says:

It will be able to be used with the Mac again after the PC, with no additional set up required.

10. Erol says:

it has now taken the disk while plugged into my computer but I wasn’t able to read disks I was putting in or in other words, it has not started playing anything… I actually tried installing QuickTime player for windows but that didn’t solve anything! HELP!

11. Cody Lowry says:

Thank you so much!!! I’ve been trying for a year to get my girlfriend’s SuperDrive to properly function on my Windows10 laptop that does not have a built in disc drive. This method worked great for me. Just followed the instructions. I downloaded Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5722 from the provided link, unzipped the file, ran the AppleODDInstaller64.exe application in the drivers folder, and now it works like a charm. Time to burn some discs!!!!