If you’re looking for an external optical drive to use on a Windows PC and happen to have an Apple SuperDrive handy, installing a Boot Camp driver on the Windows PC will give you that functionality. Here’s how you can make your SuperDrive work with Windows.
- Plug the SuperDrive into the USB port on the computer. At this point, you’ll probably see it show up under This PC, but inserting a disk won’t do anything (and the disk probably won’t even go in the whole way.)
- Download the latest Boot Camp Drivers from Apple.
- Right click on the Boot Camp zip file in your Downloads folder and click Extract All.
- Launch the AppleODDInstaller64.exe file, located in /BootCamp/Drivers/Apple/AppleODDInstaller64.exe and follow the instructions to install the driver on your PC.
- After you complete the installer, you should be able to insert a disk and use the drive as you normally would.
While this might not be the best option if you’re looking to purchase an optical drive to use with both platforms, it works for those who have already gone with the Apple option and want to use it on more than just their Macs.
If you have any questions or run into any problems, let us know with a comment and we’ll do our best to help you.